Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What distinguishes a Quarter Horse and a Paint besides color?

I found an article in an AQHA magazine about Quarter Horses with too much white on their body or in certain places. Also some paints can be double registered as a QH. So besides color is there anything else that distinguishes a Quarter Horse and a Paint?





Just a curious question =)





Thank you!What distinguishes a Quarter Horse and a Paint besides color?
Not really much of a difference from APHA horses and AQHA (but let's not get confused with pintos they are any horse with patches of white on their body! Almost any breed can occasionally produce a pinto, paints are usually the Registered ones that is how I tell the difference). Basically, sometime in the 1900 (I think around the 1960-1985ish) people started a registry for Paint horses that were out of either Thoroughbred or Quarter Horse bloodlines. I think that most of the APHA horses today are from the horses that were Quarter Horse, but didn't have the solid coloring of a Quarter Horse so their owners registered them with the APHA. Not sure though. Some Quarter Horse ranchers get upset when their AQHA broodmares produces a foal with white patches...think they are too flashy I guess! Anyhow, APHA horses can be double registered with AQHA as well in situations like the one I just described. Purebred QH mare bred to purebred QH stud produces paint foal and is double registered.





The difference between a QH and a Paint, is mostly color and the fact that some APHA horses are thoroughbreds. Myself, I don't believe that their is any difference at all between a APHA horse out of QH bloodlines other than color. I have realized over the years that they are just as intelligent and athletic as the Quarter Horse, just a bit more flashy. I actually prefer them to Quarter Horses (don't get me wrong I'm all about ridin' them,.. but I just LOOOVEE Paints).





By the way some Paints do get sunburn as well as some have light colored eyes that can be sensitive. But I heard that lots of cowboys used to ride them as cowponies.....What distinguishes a Quarter Horse and a Paint besides color?
Paints are mostly Quarter Horse, but some have a lot more Thoroughbred blood in them than Quarter Horses do. The APHA allows Thorougbred crosses. The APHA used to register Quarter Horses born with too much white as Paints. The AQHA changed their rules to allow horses with excessive white markings to be registered. If a registered Paint had two Quarter Horse parents it could then also be registered in the AQHA. The APHA then changed their rules so horse must have at least one Paint parent to be registered in the regular registry. A Quarter Horse now with excessive white can only be registered in the APHA as a Breeding stock. In my opinion the AQHA should register all solid paints and the APHA should register all horses with excessive white markings. It was believed, incorrectly, that the white in Paints came from draft crossings.
Their breeding, obviously.





Paints used to be considered colored Quarter Horses but in the west cowboys didn't like them because they got sunburn and the thought that dark legs were stronger or something, so they got separated and a new breed formed.


Now, that's just what I remember my old trainer telling me a while back, so I don't know how accurate I got it.


But that's why their conformation and temperament and all that is so similar.
no paint horses are pretty much quarter horses or thoroughbreds with extra white. I had a paint mare that blood type QH. Most of the big named paint horses were just cropped out QH's.
Not much. Most paints have got a good deal of quarter horse blood in them.
  • bright makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment